Monday, August 27, 2012

The Matches: Saturday on the Glashedy

Hostilities, suspended for the Member's Scramble, resumed on Saturday morning on the Glashedy Links.  The day started overcast, but gradually cleared as the day and round wore on.  The winds were of medium strength, but more significantly had turned 180 degrees around, changing the playing charcteristics of virtually every hole.

Theresa stumbled out of the gate, making an 8 and a 6 on the opening holes, to my two pars, and going two down.  Unfortunately that condition would not persist, as Theresa played the next seven holes in a mere 31 strokes, her best stretch of play on the trip.  She hit the green on both Par 3's, no easy task on this beast of a links, and well deserved to be three up at the turn.

Your humble blogger tees off on the Par 3 fifth (called Clochan Beag - your guess is as good as mine), top, and the well-protected 6th green (Doras Mor), bottom.
Theresa couldn't keep up her pace, and combined with my improved play resulted in the match going back to all square after thirteen.  However, sloppy short game work by your truly sealed my fate, and Theresa closed me out 3 & 2.

A nice view of the 8th and ninth holes of the Glashedy, on the walk to the 14th tee, top.  A trip to the Captain's bunker on the home hole necessitated a contribution for the kids, but an up and down from the bunker made it my pleasure indeed, bottom.
Theresa finished the day with a 99, which somehow didn't capture the quality of her play.   I played better than it might seem from the above, posting an 85 on a most difficult track in an unfamiliar and reasonably significant wind.  Most importantly, I teed off on the 16th hole with the very golf ball with which I started the day.  And although I lost that Penta on the 16th, in the search for it I found a low mileage Pro V1, what my frineds in real estate would consider a tax-free, like kind exchange.

One last bit of fun from the day can be found below:


Theresa is being a good sport here.  She didn't want me to video her actual shot, so after playing safely to the left fringe of the green, she allowed me to drop another ball and create the above video.  I can's say for sure that she deliberately hit the ball thin, but that's the risk we were  identifying for the viewer.

Current Standings:

T. Simpson   2.5
S. Simpson  2.0
.

No comments:

Post a Comment