Tuesday, August 21, 2012

My Kingdom for a Teenager

A quick note about the resolution of our technical issues. A kind gentleman was able to get us on the club's WiFi by converting the settings on our iPad from a dynamic to static IP address. I understand each word he used, but had no clue as to what it all meant. All I know is that the iPad suddenly worked. The laptop remained unresolved until Monday morning when the office was open. We introduced ourselves to Trish, who had been most helpful in making our arrangements. Trish introduced me to John Farren, the club's General Manger, who pitched in on one of our issues. Your humble blogger, who prides himself on his ability to pull together a golf trip to Ireland in the time it takes mere mortals to check their e-mail, had failed to notice that his new laptop's power cord had a plug with three prongs, incompatible with our adapters. What ensued was one of those wonderful moments, where everyone pitched in to assist the desperate travelers. John found a spare local plug and came up with the brilliant idea of simply swapping the plugs for the duration of the trip. I'm pretty sure that voids my warranty, but I've a short planning horizon at the moment. While John was slicing, dicing and splicing, Trish put me on the phone with the club's IT consultant, and while we never change any settings the yellow warning triangle disappeared and the wonders of the Internet revealed themselves. 

Thanks to Al for trying to help me sort through these issues. It's always comforting when Al doesn't know the answer, as it helps me feel less clueless. Also thanks to Lowell, who was on call (though he didn't know why he was on call) to scour Coleraine (a larger town near Portrush) for an adapter. If there are no further issues, regular programming will/might resume.

No comments:

Post a Comment